Winners & Finalists 2016!
ISARA WON THE UNIVERSITY STARTUP WORLD CUP AND THE MOBILE & WEB CATEGORY 2016
Mobile & Web
ISARA – Indonesia. Representing Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne, Switzerland
Isara is a Deaf community-center platform that includes an open sign language learning application, an online sign interpreter service, and a crowdsourced Deaf-friendly video subtitle-making tool. Isara offers fair business model by liberating sign language learning so that everyone can easily – and at no charge – take a sign language course made and maintained by Deaf communities. In return, sign language learners with hearing capability can help Deaf communities by subtitling videos to make online videos deaf-friendly. In an effort to be a sustainable business, Isara also enables its active users to become professional sign interpreters and/or teachers.
The past couple of days have been amazing – we truly would’ve never imagined to meet such an amazing and inspiring bunch of people from all over the world. Thanks everyone for your support and definitely a massive shoutout to the Venture Cup x University Startup World Cup team!
Klenergy – Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
Klenergy Helios is an innovative battery which captures the excess production from renewable energy and stores it as the energy carrier of the future: hydrogen.
In that way Klenergy wants to be a critical mass in the transformation of our current energy system and its transition to a decentralized, integrated & sustainable energy model for our future.
Marine Nexus – Singapore Management University
Marine Nexus is an online maritime platform that connects vessel providers to vessel procurers. The main aim is to make it as cost efficient for vessel providers to market their vessels and vessel procurers to find the vessel they want.
IndustryTech & Robotics
Nara Space – Yonsei University, South Korea
NARA SPACE was founded by ambitious space engineers and business partners to fulfill their vision to revolutionize people’s daily life via its latest space technologies. NARA SPACE’s vision extends to the earth imagery market essential for humanity. Monitoring the earth from low orbit is crucial but there are some technical limitations which made conventional monitoring system obsolete. The conventional LEO satellite systems have fundamental limitation in observing the earth due to no visual lights or bad weather condition. Therefore, NARA is officially introducing its SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) Cube Satellite Constellation System to make invisible visible via latest technologies.
Sharing Economy & IoT
Nowi – Technical University in Delft, The Netherlands
Nowi developed a sensor that can harvest energy from radio waves that originate from an ordinary Wi-Fi router. This concept can lower the cost of ownership of sensors and enable the Internet of Things by eliminating this bottleneck of exchanging batteries in sensors.
Life Science & MedTech
CatheCare – Columbia University, USA
CatheCare was created to address the shortcomings of current preventative and management strategies against bacterial contamination. Their easy-to-use, small, and attachable device eradicates 99.9% of bacteria, resulting in lowered infection rates, improved clinical outcomes, and faster hospital bed turnover rates.
Meet the teams who participated in the University Startup World Cup 2016!
- Our way of fighting global pollution is by replacing the plastic and Styrofoam plates with plates made from leaves. Our product is 100% natural and biodegradable, leaves zero footprint and is as durable and strong as the other flatware which permanently damages the planet. The leaves plates are produced in the rural areas of Nepal, which gives people there the unique opportunity to be employed and contributes to their overall well-being in an otherwise destitute area. The global wave of green technologies and solutions is blowing in our favor, and our first international expansion will take roots in Europe and other parts of Southeast Asia.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- VENus is business idea that will give its customers clean and green renewable energy. We will offer free consulting about renewable energy and its importance. After that we will measure wind speed on customer’s location and make project about optimal wind aggregate that can be used. If interested, we will make and sell that aggregate to our customer. That will be our main product. Beside that we will make our own wind power plant and sell electricity to the grid.
- As a solar energy provider, we have 6 core techniques: Invisible grid lines, fluffy surface, anti-reflection film, surface passivation, special coating and electronic Packaging technique. Based on the core techniques which have got patents, we’re developing products in 3 areas: solar-charge laptop bag, foldable solar power bank wallet and mini solar cell. These products all aim at solving the problem of electric deficiency by solar charging. Our potential markets are specified into 3 modules: outdoors, electro- mobile and military use.
PMD – Personal Mobility Device
- We developed and manufactured a revolutionary vehicle that will redefine urban mobility. Facing the megatrends of mobility and urban sprawl, future societies have a strong need to reach urban destinations in a time-saving and convenient way. In order to overcome the last gap in integrated mobility (“last mile”), our product helps the group of high-frequency commuters to reach whatever place in a comfortable way. Our product is electrically-driven, ultralight and extremely space-saving. Those characteristics make it unique and create extensive value for the mobility of future societies.
- Klenergy Helios is an innovative battery which captures the excess production from renewable energy and stores it as the energy carrier of the future: hydrogen. In that way Klenergy wants to be a critical mass in the transformation of our current energy system and its transition to a decentralized, integrated & sustainable energy model for our future.
- Ecomate is the first marketplace entirely dedicated to 100% (made in Europe) green products. We connect demand and supply with an innovative B2B solution for mSMEs (micro, small and medium companies) that contextualizes and adds value to those who believe in transparency, work ethic, health, environmental preservation and are currently struggling to position themselves in a globalized and competitive market. We are developing an algorithm that can tell you from 0 to 100 how much a product or a company is green, offering to ethical European SMEs a new springboard to unlock their potential and grow their business.
- We are passionate about contributing to a world which does not depend on power from fossil fuels. My aim is to accelerate the adoption of solar technology across India to conserve our environment and provide an environmentally friendly, sustainable and conflict-free power supply. Sustainable global economic development requires reliable, cost-effective and quickly scalable energy solutions. We are an evolving high-tech startup to provide these solutions to our customers. Developing nations are hard hit by the cost of power-supply and this may sometime take the form of war between the government and people. Solar is the solution.
- Fizzible Tech’s research division is primarily focused on the power of positioning technology into the Indoor environment. Prototype of the said solution having achieved an accuracy of 25 cm in an indoor environment.
Autonomous vehicles, Aviation, Geophysics, Warehouse automation, Inventory management, better security management at high profile locations like Airports and finding misplaced objects at home, these are just some of numerous applications of this technology.
Chou Pi Jiang
- Chou Pi Jiang is a virtual socialized university where people, including students / advisors / mentors, can learn and share knowledge, skill and experience with each other online (app & wechat application) and offline.
Chou Pi Jiang focuses on people. We encourage everyone to find out own strength, share with others and feel good about selves.
Chou Pi Jiang believes collective sharing & learning will bring true happiness to every single user and become the new engine of future global sns.
- WeAdventure is on a social mission to reclaim the tourism industry and let local tourism providers reap the benefits of tourism in their countries.
WeAdventure is an online marketplace for people to discover and book exciting local outdoor adventures around the world. Providers are able to receive reviews – building trust. The WeAdventure marketplace frees up time for the adventure providers by taking care of all administrative tasks that adventure providers struggle with in their day-to-day business. This enables the providers to spend their valuable time on the things they love and do best – providing amazing experiences.
- NABIROU is a job searching web page and app. that simplifies the way employers are connected with potential candidates and puts low experienced workers in the market. NABIROU would create a place where labor supply and demand can meet. It will mainly target youth searching for their first professional experience (first job, internship, part time job, volunteering) and organizations that are in search for educated but inexperience work force to fill these low level positions.
- Orbita Line transforms an existing public transportation service into a smart mobility system. When applied to the buses operated by a local public transportation agency, it uses its IoT/satellite/mobile-powered cloud-based technology which allows the transport operator to serve many more passengers with the same buses and drivers.
In addition, Orbita Line dramatically transforms the passengers’ experience. In an Orbita Line-enabled city any passenger can order a bus with a smartphone and the bus is guaranteed to pick up the passenger from the closest bus stop in a specified time limit (usually 15 minutes).
- We developed a sensor that can harvest energy from radio waves that originate from an ordinary Wi-Fi router. This concept can lower the cost of ownership of sensors and enable the Internet of Things by eliminating this bottleneck of exchanging batteries in sensors.
Druk Cordyceps Herbal Pvt Ltd
- Druk Cordyceps Herbal Pvt Ltd is company which will convert the common life of people who are suffering from health related General disorders.
- Presenting the BfR Pro ARMS: Specially designed elastic training band for BFR training. The main idea is that by restricting part of the blood flow from your extremity like your arm or leg back to your heart, it will cause a pooling of blood to occur in your muscles along with increased levels of lactid acid triggering state of hypertrophy (muscle growth) by increasing the level of growth hormone from your brain.
- Bluepha Co., Ltd. is a biomaterial company established in Tsinghua University. The original technology developed by Bluepha can achieve low-cost production of a kind of biodegradable material Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA). PHA are well accepted as replacements of traditional petrol-based plastic, which has caused environmental problems due to their non-degradability. However, high production cost limited the application and commercialization of PHA. Bluepha’s unique and patented technology called “Blue-biotechnology” is able to systematically reduce the cost, thus expend the application of PHA.
- 3-5 million central venous catheters (CVCs) are implanted into patients alone in the US annually. Although CVCs are crucial for many medical procedures, such as chemotherapy and hemodialysis, catheters are ironically responsible for 40% of hospital-acquired infections. Catheter-related infections are associated with a 25% mortality rate, and more than $7 billion of additional costs annually in the U.S. CatheCare was created to address the shortcomings of current preventative and management strategies against bacterial contamination. Our easy-to-use, small, and attachable device eradicates 99.9% of bacteria, resulting in lowered infection rates, improved clinical outcomes, and faster hospital bed turnover rates.
Hands Life Science Limited
- Hands Life Science is developing a DHA production system that produces DHA with a novel glycolipid (GL) structure. DHA-GL is superior to fish oil and algae oil in terms of human absorption and oxidative stability. More importantly, this structure is not yet available in the market because of its limited presence in nature. Our technology utilizes genetically engineered cyanobacteria to produce DHA-GL efficiently and sustainably. The product can be used as food ingredients and health supplements.
- The increase in life-expectancy in recent decades has led to the vast majority of people being hospitalized being of older age and with several co-morbidities. The traditional structure of modern hospitals does not accommodate very well for patients with medical needs and risks of complications spanning several specialties.
Medical Sandbox wishes to improve the use of national” best-practice” guidelines on medical wards treating multi-morbid patients primarily with doctors of one specialization. We attempt to achieve this by developing an innovative structure, for use in both mobile and web applications, containing the national guidelines in an intuitive, easily accessible form.
- We make a backrest which tracks the user’s posture and pressure that is laid upon the user’s back. With the information, we provide appropriate services; such as giving stretching video guidelines, and linking the user to back-caring facilities.
- OrgaMime is a biotech startup offering groundbreaking technological solutions to research centers, pharmaceutical, and food industry facilitating their foray into the rapidly emerging human microbiome market. Focusing on bringing the revolutionary microGUT technology to the market, OrgaMime offers the new standard tools, an enabling technology to overcome the first hurdles to market entry.
The microGUT technology platform is a compact, desktop-sized, miniaturized, ultra-low volume model of the human gastrointestinal tract. With ten times reduction in acquisition and setup cost in comparison to the current state-of-the-art, microGUT is not only an affordable option but has also emerged as a superior technology which its unprecedented ability to recapitulate over 92% of the gut microbiota. Our enabling microGUT platform will fundamentally change how researchers engages with the human microbiome.
With microGUT, we will democratize gut microbiota research & development and in the process establish microGUT as a new standard for research in the human microbiome research community.
Work Balance Institute
- We have developed a science based and stress preventing solution – the app WOBA. WOBA provides our customers with the opportunity to get a “real-time insight” in the well-being and in house stress loads right at this moment. This allows us to solve work-related stress issues proactively and thereby reduce the waste of both human and economic resources.
WBI has only been in business for 6 months, but WOBA has already been tested in 30 of DK’s biggest companies, it works and has received top marks from our users!
Jio.Sg Pte. Limited
- JIO is an application that enables media companies to gain a deeper understanding of the emotional triggers within their advertisements and video content by using facial recognition technology with emotion detection and eye tracking to enrich viewer research.
- Atlas is a running a social media app that connects local communities, corporations and nonprofits to create social impact.
- We are now making next generation children’s education platform based on AR / VR. We bring children to virtual story-world on the device and making them protagonists of the story. Moreover, in the story world, they will experience various activities and learn from the experiences. Many parents read a printed book to their children for emotional growth but that also makes them tired.
Solution: Fairytale Yourself
By using face recognition camera, we will reconstruct children’s face in 3D as well as animate it and assign it to a protagonist so the children will notice that they are in the story. Moreover, the family members will also be part of the story in order to assure a continuous emotional connection.
- Hospital rooms tend to be dull and depressing, which is proven to have negative consequences for the health of patients and staff.
Art Stream’s vision is to provide an innovative, evidence based and disruptive service that helps solve a huge and growing societal problem which affects millions of people globally costing our societies and companies billions of Euros annually.
Art Stream delivers an AI driven digital art therapy service to hospitals, that gives patients the opportunity to customize the art in their rooms. This contributes to their mental health, reduces medicine consumption and helps speed up patients’ recovery process.
- Isara is a Deaf community-center platform that includes an open sign language learning application, an online sign interpreter service, and a crowdsourced Deaf-friendly video subtitle-making tool. Isara offers fair business model by liberating sign language learning so that everyone can easily – and at no charge – take a sign language course made and maintained by Deaf communities. In return, sign language learners with hearing capability can help Deaf communities by subtitling videos to make online videos deaf-friendly. In an effort to be a sustainable business, Isara also enables its active users to become professional sign interpreters and/or teachers.
- Free time is something very precious. We all want to make sure to use it in the best possible way– making experiences that are highly enjoyable with the right people. Currently finding these experiences is hard. The user has to go through long lists of activities in his city and put a lot of effort into getting an overview of what’s happening around him. With Eagr we want to change that! Giving you personalized recommendations for things to do in your free time, we make event discovery quick and easy.
- Kompas is revolutionizing the way we travel through the use of artificial intelligence. This never-been-done before solution in travel itineraries, allows us to present tailored recommendations, relevant reviews, and a hassle free way of getting around a city. We’re making travelling personal, easy and enjoyable, while getting to know your preferences when travelling. Explore the true personality of each city, and find things you know you will enjoy. Street murals, rooftop cocktail bars, underground passages and low-key jazz bars are just a few of the unique things you can expect to find.
- e-LIT offers an innovative, collaborative and interactive educational software platform “ELSIE” used in providing the essential digital skills a person needs to be integrated and included in our modern society. Constructing and enhancing their capabilities to live, learn, work and contribute.
ELSIE uses its inventive features to educate the digitally illiterate users, primarily the elderly over the age of 60, on these key skills with the goal of enhancing their quality of life.
The application is initially being developed for tablet use and will include tools to support their use of digital devices and easy navigation of the Internet.
- By combining artificial strength and exercise, Tendo offers an improved everyday life for people with diminished grip strength due to age or sickness. Tendo is a robotic gripping tool which creates freedom and new opportunities for those who cannot live the life that others take for granted, where actions such as holding a fork at a restaurant or opening up a bottle of water becomes a struggle. By creating artificial strengths in the shape of a discreet product that challenges the traditional medical devices of today’s market, Tendo offers more freedom and enhanced self-reliance. It’s for people, not symptoms.
- Roads with concrete pavement have defined cross-sections (joints) whose filler e.g. bitumen compound needs to be changed every 5 to 6 years. This extends the streets lifecycle dramatically. Currently there are no technical solutions available which are specifically designed for that joint remediation.
We are currently developing a product for changing the bitumen compound which has among others significant quality advantages compared to today’s methods.
Besides highways other location are for example airports or motorway rest areas.
- OBi Plus solves the problems of keeping cars up-to-date by offering a single platform to connect the vehicles, extend their hardware capabilities and enable cloud based services. OBi Plus is an application platform that consists of a plug&play hardware device with embedded cellular connectivity that can be installed in any car manufactured since 1996 and cloud-based application services that will make driving safer, easier and less expensive.
- NARA SPACE was founded by ambitious space engineers and business partners to fulfill their vision to revolutionize people’s daily life via its latest space technologies. NARA SPACE’s vision extends to the earth imagery market essential for humanity. Monitoring the earth from low orbit is crucial but there are some technical limitations which made conventional monitoring system obsolete. The conventional LEO satellite systems have fundamental limitation in observing the earth due to no visual lights or bad weather condition. Therefore, NARA is officially introducing its SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) Cube Satellite Constellation System to make invisible visible via latest technologies.
- Our business idea is to create and develop a human interface device that recognizes the natural and intuitive movements of our hand, so that we can interact with our digital world in more meaningful and productive ways. This product will find myriad applications in the gaming, education and virtual reality industries.
- We at Aristih group aim not only to digitize roads but also to change the way vehicles commute in the ecosystem.
As such we do the installation of Rf-Id tag, Security system for large scale housing, CCTV Camera’s, cost effective ANPR Systems (Automatic Number Plate System), Automatic toll booth systems, Facial Recognition Systems etc. to increase security for civilians in a state.
Sentri produces tech fleece which uses some of the highest technology fabric in the world. With a polyester and spandex blended face and polyester fleece lining, our fabric looks and feels like typical fleece. However, due to its razor thin polyurethane membrane, it is waterproof while maintaining breathability from microscopic pores.
Sentri’s most significant product, however, is still being developed. Through the use of conductive textiles, we are developing a nearly wireless heated jacket, redesigning the future of heated clothing.
- Agrozilla uses drones in farmlands processing to reduce up to 70% of farmers’ financial expenses, increase time efficiency by 50%, while being a 100% eco-friendly solution by operating on electricity. Our startup is a classic example of a first-mover in a traditional market.
- As internet is growing, communication has no borders. People enjoy confidentiality and become more open. But sometimes, they behave impolitely and rudely to others. Comments and open discussions easily become a place of hate and offensive behavior. Discussions contain vulgarisms, ad hominem attacks and many other forms of malicious behavior. Our goal is to get rid of offensive, poisonous and impolite comments in online discussions. Dealing with this issue costs companies, such as news portals, considerable sums of money. Our automated solution, quickly and effectively detects problematic user comments, and helps human moderators to keep the discussion polite and focused on a given topic.
- Marine Nexus is an online maritime platform that connects vessel providers to vessel procurers. The main aim is to make it as cost efficient for vessel providers to market their vessels and vessel procurers to find the vessel they want
- 5 STYLE is an award-winning design-led magazine – the destination for minimal luxury. Founded in late 2014, covering minimalism in fashion, design and travel, this digital platform attracts over 100k readers/followers on all channels. 5 STYLE also offers exclusive discounts on products featured on the site, and travel guides that explore luxurious destinations, with tips and insight for the modern day globetrotter.
- 3nWeb is a service with secure e-mail, messenger and safety storage. And the customer pays for storage only (other elements will be the additions to it). Fee depends on the individual plan. The monthly package for a customer – it’s a subscription for the cloud mail, messaging and storage services.
It’s possible to sum up current expenditures of users on the existing secure apps: Silent Circle, ProtonMail, Threema, Mega. There will be at least 5M people (by today). So, if imagine that they will pay for our service, it will be 5M * $10/month = $0.6 B/year profit.
- BookWell is an online aggregator and booking service for the wellness tourism industry, with its primary focus on improving customer experience through the facilitation of wellness travel and its secondary focus on providing a platform for collaborative, strategic partnerships between businesses in the industry. The concept of BookWell addresses the gap in the wellness tourism sector that has the possibility to improve business-to-business relationships and connectivity. It represents an opportunity for existing businesses to increase their market share through targeting new customer segments and building mutualistic relationships with other businesses that share those same target markets.
- At Alle Carte we democratize the information about available restaurant offers so people can find the right meal, which fits their needs and lifestyle.
We are building the menu card of the 21st century so we can give everybody a fair choice when they go out to eat. By aggregating information on restaurant meals from social media platforms, combining it with existing restaurant menu cards, we have built a database of available offers which is organized, searchable for your needs, transparent and super accessible. That is why we also built Liam, our Facebook bot.
- Botfactory is a platform that enables non-tech users to create artificially intelligent conversational agents to increase and improve customer engagement and support. The platform is designed in a way that anyone can make and deploy a conversational AI using it. It has a special concern regarding customer support. Thus it will have dashboards to monitor customer complaints and other insights on the business from customer perspective. Ultimately it will help businesses provide better customer support to expand and achieve a loyal customer base at no labor cost.
- Wilivery is a website for peer to peer delivery service. We connect people who want to deliver something with people who travel on the same way.
If someone wants their things to be delivered, they just need to publish an announcement to our website. Then a traveler can easily choose a suitable announcement, deliver the things and will be paid.